Stats: Mayank Creates Record, Virat Achieves Captaincy Milestone
A century from Mayank Agarwal and two fifties off Virat Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara’s bat has helped India post 273/3 on Day 1 of the Pune Test against South Africa.
Here’s a look at some of the statistical achievements of the players on the opening day of the match.Mayank Smashes Second Test Ton
- Mayank Agarwal has registered centuries in successive Tests against South Africa - 215 at Visakhapatnam and 108 at Pune. These two hundreds are his only ones in Test Cricket.
- Agarwal is the second Indian opener after Virender Sehwag (in 2010) to post hundreds in consecutive Tests against South Africa.
- For the fourth time, four hundreds have been registered by openers in a Test series for India - the first three occasions being vs West Indies in 1970-71; vs West Indies in 1978-79 and vs Sri Lanka in 2009-10.
- Mayank Agarwal and Cheteshwar Pujara were associated in a stand of 138 for the second wicket - India's first 100+ stand for any wicket in two Tests played at MCAS Pune, eclipsing the 50 for the fourth wicket between Lokesh Rahul and Ajinya Rahane v Australia 2016-17.
- Cheteshwar Pujara (81 at Visakhapatnam and 58 at Pune) has posted back-to-back fifties against South Africa for the first time in Tests in India. His only other fifty against them on Indian soil remains the 77 at Mohali in November 2015.
- Pujara's fifth fifty against South Africa is his 22nd in Tests. In 2019 he is averaging 49.50 in Tests - his tally being 398 in eight innings, including a hundred and two fifties.
- Virat Kohli is the second captain after Mahendra Singh Dhoni (60) to lead India in 50 Tests.
- Kohli's 23rd fifty in Tests is his fourth vs South Africa. In first match innings in Tests, he has registered seven hundreds and seven fifties.